Category Archives: String Bed Stiffness
Comparisons are fun and can be informative as one of the steps in selecting a tennis racquet that is right for you!
If you have read the individual reviews of these two (2) racquets you may wonder about some of the numbers.
This comparison table makes it easy to see the properties.
- You will notice very little difference in these racquets’ overall weight and swing weight. Typically tolerances will be in the plus/minus 7-gram range.For example:
- A 300-gram racquet can weigh from 293 to 307 grams.
- A 315-gram racquet can weigh from 308 to 322 grams.
- Different model racquets can be the same weight.
- Same-model racquets can be an ounce different in weight.
So, when multiple racquets are received at the World Headquarters they are characterized to match similar racquets within a model.
We are really happy to have Jason Harne join us to review and add his comments on tennis racquets and tennis strings!
I think you will agree that Jason will be a great addition to racquetquest.com based on the following tennis bio:
Jason Harne – Tennis
- Pro tennis – futures tournaments and satellites
- Stirling University, Scotland. One of the first players to be awarded the British Universities Tennis Bursary Colors Award (equivalent to All-American)
- International home nations tournament, representing Scotland, player of the tournament award.
- England county cup, division one, representing Yorkshire County.
- Spain and UK, national league tennis
- High Point University, Big South Conference, 22-2 record.
- U21 guardian direct British futures, national champion, and fastest UK serve.
- Teaching pro, UK and Spain, high-performance players
This is very impressive but the most important component for us, and you, is Jason’s incredible interest in new things! Jason is willing to try, and honestly comment on, any performance tennis equipment.
Jason will be commenting on the new Wilson Shift series later this week.
Please leave a comment or question for Jason.
After the success of the Wilson Labs version of the Shift technology, Wilson decided to make a retail version. We have received the retail version of the unique racquets and certainly want to share!
Just looking at the racquet, you may ask, “What is unique about it?” Even though the term AI is overused, in this case, it was just used! Some of the concepts of the designers were fed to AI, and it went to work!
We don’t know the details of the AI prompts, but we do know the very wide throat will accommodate the in-plane flexure of the shaft, which lets the head move downward upon impact and then move back while the ball is in contact with the string, therefore, contributing to “spin.”
This 99-square-inch racquet comes in two (2) versions, the 300-gram and 315-gram “Pro,” with an 18×20 string pattern.
We can feel some flex in the shaft; however, the real test is hitting with this concept, so come in and try the demo. In the meantime, take a look at the numbers.
|Racquet Model||Wilson Shift 300|
|Machine Used||True Tension Professional|
|String Bed Stiffness - RDC||53.0|
|String Bed Stiffness -FlexFour||63.5|
|String Bed Stiffness - SBS||43.0|
|String Bed Stiffness - ERT||35 kg/cm|
|Racquet Flex, RDC||69 After Stringing|
|Racquet Flex, FlexFour||43.0|
|Racquet - In Plane Stiffness||400.0 Lbs/In|
|Head Area, cm2||634.0|
|Head Area, Sq. Inch||98.3|
|Beam Height @ Grip, mm||23.0|
|Beam Height @ Mid, mm||24.0|
|Beam Height @ Tip||24.0|
|Beam Width @ Grip, mm||12.75|
|Beam Width @ Throat, mm||12.8|
|Beam Width @ Mid, mm||11.1(PWS)|
|Beam Width @ Tip, mm||13.0(including bumper)|
|Number of Main Strings||16|
|Number of Cross Strings||20|
|Main String Grid||7.25|
|Cross String Grid||10.81|
|Density (% of head filled with string)||71.7 %|
|Average Cross String Space||.494|
|Average Main String Space||.446|
|Dynamic Tension, Kp, ERT MasterTensometer||35 kg/cm|
|Dynamic Tension, Lbs/in||195.78|
|First Moment, Nm||.826|
|Swing Weight, Kg/cm2||320|
|Swing Weight, Ounces||11.29|
|Swing Weight Calculated||348.6 (full-length)|
|Head Weight, %||47.4%|
|Center of Percussion||20.9|
|Dwell Time, ms||8.74|
|Efective Stiffness - lbs||30.0|